Wednesday, November 15, 2006

It's granola time!

Note: I don't measure anything with this recipe, so if my estimates are wrong, just change things aroung. Granola is just made how you like it!

8 cups old fashioned oats (buy in bulk at a health food store to save money)
1 cup nuts broked into smaller pieces, but not chopped. I do this with my hands(I like pecans best, then walnuts)
1 cup seeds (I used pumpkin, you can also use sunflower (out of husk!))
2-3 TB flax seeds (grind them up fine with a food processor or coffee grinder)
About 1/2 cup honey
about 1/2 cup hot water
2-3 heaping teaspoons of cinnamon and nutmeg (apple pie spice works too!)
1-2 packages dried fruit (my favorites are cherries and cranberries. Any dried fruit will do as long as it's cut into little pieces)

Preheat oven to 350

Combine oats, nuts, seeds, and ground flax in a big bowl. Mix with your hands until even. In a smaller bowl squeeze out about 1/2 cup of honey. Don't measure this it's too messy. Add the seasoning to the honey then put about 1/2 cup hot water from the faucet into the honey. Combine with a fork until homogeneous. Pour honey mixture into bowl with oats. Mix with hands until oats are wet. If you have to, make more honey mixture.

Spread out granola mix evenly onto a couple cookie sheets and throw in the oven. Every 10 minutes or so take out the granoloa and turn it with a spatula. You want to make sure that you mix well because the granola on the outside will burn. Granola is done cooking when it is golden brown and crispy and the honey has dried. Pour granola back into a clean dry bowl. Toss in the dried fruit.

Voila! Makes a ton of granola. 1/2 cup is about 150 calories. I portion out about 20 ziploc bags with 1/2 cup each and throw them into my drawer at work. It's my favorite snack!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home