Monday, November 27, 2006

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

I take NO credit for this one (Rachel Ray gets a big Kudos on this), but it is awesome!

2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cups canned or packaged vegetable stock, found on soup aisle
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
2 cans (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (found often on the baking aisle)
1 cup Soymilk (my vegan substitution)
1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 palm full
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 palm full
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, eyeball it in the palm of your hand
Coarse salt
20 blades fresh chives, chopped or snipped, for garnish

Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Saute onions 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste. Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chopped chives.

Much better the second day! Watch the cayenne if you don't like spicy foods. It has quite a nice zip with the 1/2 teaspoon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Mmmmmm. I luv Rachel Ray. Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding stuff she makes my kids would like. I'm gonna have to try this one. I'm sure the pumpkin puree is going to be on sale soon! I'm also working on Giada's Lentil Soup. I have all the stuff for that one. I'll let you know how it goes.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Ange said...

Hey! Is this new for you? ARe you doing 100% plant-based stuff like the Thrive diet recommends? I'm intrigued. I don't knwo that I could do it 100%. I just found myself here and can't read too much now but plan to check these recipes out! I'm interested to hear more. Has it changed your life....energy level/health etc?

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home